10 Tips to Help You Stay on Budget
We are in the home stretch of holiday shopping and to help you finish strong, we’ve compiled our top 10 tips to help you stay on budget this season. Because we all know how easy it is to get carried away with spending, especially with little ones!
- Set a budget Set a budget and stick to it. For some, this may be the hardest part – I know it is for me –but remember it’s not about how much you spend and quantity is not always quality. Keep a tally of how much you’ve spent, if you end up spending more on one item, you’ll need to adjust somewhere else to stay within your overall budget.
- Make a list and check it twice We always find we spend more when we don’t have a proper plan of attack. Make a list of all the people you need to purchase gifts for, determine what you’re getting them and how much you want to spend. Remember to bring your list when heading out to the stores to help stay focused.
- Don’t Buy something just because it’s on sale Remember, if you buy something for $80 that’s normally $100, you’re not saving $20, you’re spending $80. Make sure you have a list and a budget set and stick to it. The deals are tempting, but if you don’t need it or it won’t check somebody off your list, stay. away.
- Do your research When shopping for a specific item, check Little List and/or the retailer’s website to find the best prices and deals. Many retailers like Nordstromand Best Buyoffer price matching – if you find it for a lower price somewhere else, they’ll match it. And, when shopping online, always do a quick google search for a coupon code before making your purchase. It only takes a minute and you’ll often find coupon codes with percentages off and/or free shipping. I love using the via code online to save me money!
- Credit or Debit When possible, use debit or even cash, instead of credit cards. This way, you only spend what you have and can avoid paying interest on all your purchases. I plan on doing most of my shopping in store, with cash, so once I’ve spent the cash, I’ll know I’m done buying.
- Call customer service If you miss a promotion, or are looking for a coupon code, you can call the store’s customer service number to see if they will honor the discount or provide you with a coupon before making your purchase.
- Pick your priority gifts Make a list of 4-5 big items you’re planning on purchasing and map out a plan for getting those items at the lowest cost. Compare prices online, utilize coupon codes and purchase during big sales like Black Friday and Cyber Monday. You can’t do it for every gift, but it’s worth doing it for a select few – plus you’ll feel good knowing you bought at the right time.
- Shop throughout the year Stock up on toys and gifts throughout the year and when they go on sale. Not only does this alleviate the burden on your wallet during the holidays, it alleviates the stress of having to buy everything at once. For example, we majorly scored when Amazon put Melissa & Doug/Green Toys on sale for 50% off. Not only is it great to have a stockpile of toys for Christmas gifts…but it’s great for the many birthday parties we go to throughout the year!
- Be crafty I like to get crafty- especially for Grandparents. Pinterest has a lot of great ideas – from DIY silhouettes to hand-print pictures or plates. They always score big and cost very little! You can make friends kids these DIY headbands for next to nothing! And what’s better than a homemade gift?
- Signup for Ebates And last but certainly not least, signup for Rakuten.com (formerly Ebates). We know you’ve heard of it, but definitely start using it. It’s free-to-use and so simple. Not only does it provide you with exclusive coupon codes and sales to your favorite online retailers, you receive cash back at over 1,800 stores every time you start your shopping trip at Ebates. How does it work? Stores pay Ebates a commission for sending you their way, and Ebates shares the commission with you as cash back.
WIN, WIN! Let us know your top money-saving tips and tricks of the season in the comments below. Happy Shopping!
Since 2014 Liz and Lia have become the trusted gift giving authority on the newest and trendiest items on the market. Learn more about their story, favorite gifts and how they became gifting experts. Need help finding a perfect gift or just want to say hello? Contact L+L here.
Little List may receive a small piece of affiliate revenue if a purchase is made using one of the links. This is at absolutely no cost extra cost to readers. If this business model interest you, learn more about how you can create your own profitable website!